- Academic Support Services
- Writing and Academic Resource Center
- RESOURCES FOR PROFESSORS
RESOURCES FOR PROFESSORS
Help Students Get the Most Out of the Writing & Academic Resource Center
To help students get the most out of their tutoring sessions at the Writing & Academic Resource Center, and thus, get more support for our academic courses, there are a few basic things professors can do:
- If you give your students a writing assignment, hand out a typed written assignment with clear expectations, due dates, and any specific requirements. Students should bring these to share with the tutor. Please see these suggestions for designing writing assignments.
- If a student is consistently struggling with writing, math, economics or accounting, refer the student to the WARC Director or the Center Coordinator to arrange for “ongoing sessions”. (Ongoing sessions are defined as one-hour weekly sessions for the entire semester with the same tutor.)
- Encourage students to make tutoring appointments ahead of time and to bring their assignments, the text(s) they are working with and any work they’ve started towards fulfilling the assignment.
- Help students understand that if they make an appointment with a tutor and then fail to show up for it, they are wasting not only the tutor’s time and the school’s money, but are also keeping some other student from being able to get assistance. More than two “non-shows” and a student will forfeit his or her right to use the Center for a semester.
- Know what the role of tutor is. Please read “What Tutors Do (And What They Don’t Do)”.
The Writing and Academic Resource Center Schedule
We have 8 writing tutors, 7 math tutors, 5 economics tutors, 3 programming tutors, 2 accounting tutors, 1 English help tutor, 1 Russian language tutor, 1 Kyrgyz language tutor, and 1 SPSS tutor.
Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday
10:00-16:00 10:00-16:00 10:00-16:00 10:00-16:00 10:00-16:00 10:00-16:00
Additionally, we have online hours on weekdays from 20:00-21:00 and on Saturdays from 12:00-13:00.
NOTE: The standard policy is that students can sign up for two sessions per week Monday-Friday. But they can also book for additional sessions on Saturdays.
AUCA Writing & Academic Resource Center