- Academic Support Services
- Writing and Academic Resource Center
- RESOURCES FOR PROFESSORS
RESOURCES FOR PROFESSORS
HELP STUDENTS GET THE MOST OUT OF THE WARC
To help students get the most out of their tutoring sessions, there are several basic things professors can do:
- If you give your students a writing assignment, hand out a typed explanation of the assignment with clear expectations, due dates, and any specific requirements. Students should bring these to share with the tutor. Please see these suggestions for designing writing assignments.
- If a student is consistently struggling with writing, math, economics or accounting, refer the student to the WARC Director or the Center Coordinator to arrange regular sessions (for example, one-hour weekly sessions for the entire semester with the same tutor).
- Encourage students to make tutoring appointments ahead of time and to bring their assignments, the text(s) they are working with, and any work they’ve started towards fulfilling the assignment.
- Help students understand that if they make an appointment with a tutor and then fail to show up for it, they are not wasting only the tutor’s time and the school’s money but are also keeping another student from being able to get assistance. More than two “no-shows” and a student will forfeit his or her right to use the Center for a semester.
- Know what the role of tutor is. Please read “What Tutors Do (And What They Don’t Do)”.
COLLABORATING WITH PEER TUTORING
- Nancy Falchikov, Learning Together: Peer Tutoring in Higher Education
- Judith R. Levine, “Using a Peer Tutor to Improve Writing in a Psychology Class: One Instructor’s Perspective”
- Jo Mynard and Iman Almarzouqi, “Investigating Peer Tutoring”
- Paula Beck, Thom Hawkins, and Marcia Silver, “Training and Using Peer Tutors”
- Sophia Abbot, Anne Jumonville Graf, and Beverly Chatfield, “Listening to Undergraduate Peer Tutors: Roles, Relationships, Challenges”
- Writing Resources
- Writing a Letter of Recommendation
THE CENTER SCHEDULE
We have 8 writing tutors, 7 math tutors, 5 economics tutors, 3 programming tutors, 2 accounting tutors, 1 English help tutor, 1 Russian language tutor, and 1 Kyrgyz language tutor.
Monday - Saturday : 10:00-16:00
Additionally, we have evening hours on weekdays from 20:00-21:00.
NOTE: The standard policy is that students can sign up for two sessions per week Monday-Friday. In addition to this, they can also book unlimited additional sessions on Saturdays.
We would love to hear from you! Please contact us at email@example.com.