Ph.D. in Political Science: Major in International Relations and Minor in Nationalism Studies, Central European University, Austria.
Magister in Political Science: European Politics, Masaryk University, Czechia.
Master of Arts in European Studies, Istanbul Bilgi University, Turkey.
Bachelor of Arts in International Relations, Cyprus International University, Northern Cyprus.
Görkem Atsungur has been working at the American University of Central Asia (AUCA) since 2012. He received his B.A in International Relations from Cyprus International University, his M.A in European Studies from Istanbul Bilgi University, and his Mgr. in Political Science – European Politics from Masaryk University in Czechia. In 2020, Görkem earned his doctorate in the Political Science program, majoring in International Relations and minoring in Nationalism Studies at Central European University (CEU). His research interests include diaspora politics, migration, transnationalism, and international relations.
- Association for Solidarity with Asylum Seekers and Migrants (ASAM), Migration Academy, Online Summer School, August 09 – 17, 2021
- Istanbul Ticaret University & TESAM Academy, “Cyber Espionage and Technological Threats” Training Program, June 28 – July 22, 2021
- Central European University, “Designing a Collaborative Connected Liberal Arts Classroom,” July 12 – 16, 2021
- The Center for Russian Studies, International Summer School 2021, “Russia and the Region through the lens of Post-Soviet and Post-Colonial Studies,” July 05 – 09, 2021.
- University of Tuscia in Viterbo, “Legal and Political Challenges of Migrants’ Integration in Europe Summer Training Program” June 28 – July 09, 2021.
- Central European University, “The Quality of University Education: Harmonizing Purposes, Processes and Outcomes,” June 28 - July 02, 2021.
- Istanbul Ticaret University & TESAM Academy, “Intelligence Studies Training Program,” May 28 – June 20, 2021.
- Milli Türk Talebe Birliği, Institute of International Relations, “Middle East Diplomacy,” May 29 – June 19, 2021.
- American University of Central Asia, Academic Orientation Training Workshop, May 31 – June 04, 2021, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan.
- University of Padua, International Politics and Security (IPSE), “Crisis Management and Crisis’ Impact over National and International Systems Spring School,” May 24 – 28, 2021.
- Istanbul Bilgi University European Institute and German Academic Exchange Service, “Radicalization, Populism, and Islamophobia in Europe,” May 24 – 26, 2021.
- İfade Fikir Derneği, “Turkish Foreign Policy Spring School,” March12-14,2021.
- The International Relations Council of Turkey (IRCT),“SecurityAcademy–XV,”December10–26,2020.
- Higher School of Economics (HSE) incorporation with the East China Normal University, the Gorchakov Fund, and Shanghai International Studies University, "International Russian-Chinese Summer School on International Relations," November 19 - 25, 2020.
- Center for Diplomatic Affairs and Political Studies (DIPAM), “Digital Diplomacy Online Training Program,” October 19 – 24, 2020.
- European Union Certificate Program, The Konrad-Adenaur Stiftung (KAS) Turkey, October 05 - 09, 2020, (Online).
- Migration Certificate Program, The Konrad-Adenauer Stiftung (KAS) Turkey in cooperation with the Research Center for Migration and Integration of Turkish-German University (TAGU) and Harran University, September 21 – 25, 2020, (Online).
- Jean Monnet Fall Academy, “European Union Good Governance Promotion Inside and Beyond Its Borders, Altinbas University, September 15 – 30, 2020, (Online).
- International Webinar, “New Emerging Trends in Peace Studies,” Department of Gandhian and Peace Studies, Mahatma Gandhi Central University, Bihar-India, September 21, 2020, (Online).
- International Summer School, “Current Legal Issues in Post-Conflict and Transitional Societies,” Bahçeşehir Cyprus University, University of Sarajevo, Association Pravnik Sarajevo. September 2-4, 2020, (Online).
- International Online Workshop, “Engaging Students in an Online Environment: Global Perspectives.” Srikrishna College India, August 28 – 29, 2020, (Online).
- European Consortium for Political Research (ECPR), 1stVirtual Methods School, “Online Qualitative Data Collection: Methods, Technology, and Ethics,” Instructor: Bojana Lobe. August 10 – 14, 2020, (Online).
- Indian Anthropological Association & Anthropology without Borders, Improvising Strategies for Social Research: Methodological Concerns, August 12 – 13, 2020, (Online).
- Migration Research Foundation, Summer School on “Diaspora,” July 06 – August 07, 2020, (Online).
- European Consortium for Political Research (ECPR), Teaching and Learning Politics (TLP) Standing Group in association with Comenius University in Bratislava, 5thSummer School, “Teaching through Simulations, Games, and Academic Debates.” July 06 – 13, 2020, (Online).
- First International Workshop on “Research Methods and Approaches to Migration and Diaspora Studies,” Centre for Diaspora Studies, the Central University of Gujarat in India, in collaboration with Center for Migration, Refugees and Belonging, the University of East London in the U.K., June 30 – July 02, 2020, (Online).
- Hertie School in Berlin, “Writing with Policy Impact” skill online course, June 23 – July 01, 2020, (Online).
- European Consortium for Political Research (ECPR), “The 4thEuropean Conference on Teaching and Learning Politics,” Sessions: (1) Course Design, (2) Teaching with Simulations and Games, (3) Teaching with Case Studies, (4) Curriculum Design, (5) Innovative Assessment, and (6) Teaching with Games. June 18-19, 2020, (Online).
- American University of Central Asia, “Online Course Design” Summer School, June 09-19, 2020, (Online).
- Central European University, “Conceptualizing, Navigating and Representing the Field in Migration Studies.” July 01 –05, 2019, Budapest, Hungary.
- Central European University, “Internationalization of the University at Home: Challenges and Opportunities.” June 25 –29, 2019, Budapest, Hungary.
- University of Tartu, “People and Territories: Biopower and Geopolitics in the Black Sea and the Caucasus.” February 11 – 17, 2018, Tartu, Estonia.
- Central European University, “The Political Psychology of Populism.” July 04 –13, 2016, Budapest, Hungary.
- Institute of Advanced Studies Koszeg (iASK), 21stInternational Summer University, “To Be or Not to Be. Europe at Crossroads.” June 19 – July 01, 2016, Koszeg, Hungary.
- Tallinn University, XIII Postgraduate Summer School in Social and Cultural Studies, “Late Socialism (1956-85): The Forgotten Years between Stalinism and Perestroika.” July 24 – 31, 2015, Tallinn, Estonia.
- Central European University, “National Identity in Europe and in Russia at the Crossroads.” June 28 – July 11, 2015, Budapest, Hungary.
- Coventry University, The Centre for Peace and Reconciliation Studies (CPRS), in partnership with Kadir Has University, “Conflict Resolution and Peace-Building Skills Advanced Training.” June 22 – 26, 2015, Istanbul, Turkey.
- NATO Science for Peace and Security Programme Advanced Training Course (ATC) 984882, “Cooperative Solutions to Critical Security Issues in the Black Sea Region.” June 08 – 12, 2015, Tbilisi, Georgia.
- Bielefeld Universität, Erasmus IP Project, International Summer School, “Broadcasting the Americas: Academic Reflections and Media Practice on Politics and Culture: Ethnicity and Identities Workshop.” July 20 – August 01, 2014, Bielefeld, Germany.
- Humboldt Universität Zu Berlin, International Summer University (HUWISU), “Crisis and Future of the European Union.” June 30 - July 11, 2014, Berlin, Germany.
- The University of Nottingham, The Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) and Methods and Data Institute, “Advanced Quantitative and Qualitative Research Methods Workshop,” June 13, 2014, Nottingham, The United Kingdom.
- AmericanUniversity of Central Asia, “Bard College Orientation Workshop,” May 26 – 30, 2014, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan.
- Konrad Adenauer Stiftung - Rule of Law Program South-East Europe and the Association Pravnik, International Summer School, “Institutional Reform in the light of European Integrations in countries of South-East Europe.” July 17 – 27, 2013, Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- AmericanUniversity of Central Asia, “Bard College Orientation Workshop,” June 03 – 07, 2013, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan.
- Coventry University, Centre for Peace and Reconciliation Studies (CPRS), Karadeniz Technical University, and Cesran International, “Youth in Conflict Transformation, Post-Conflict Peacebuilding, and Reconstruction.” July 01 – 05, 2013, Trabzon, Turkey.
- Iustinianus Primus Law Faculty and Macedonian Political Science Forum, “Second Academic Conference: Europewith(out) Borders,” March 29 - April 01, 2012, Ohrid, Macedonia.
- Kadir Has University, International Relations Studies of Turkey, “XIII. Student Congress: International Relations in New World,” March 01 – 02, 2012, Istanbul,Turkey.
- The Office of Public Diplomacy of the Prime Ministry of Turkey and Selçuk University, “The First Turkish Foreign Policy Workshop” (European and Balkans Panel), December 23 – 25, 2011, Konya,Turkey.
- Prishtina International Summer University, “Kosovo’s Way to EU” and “Opposition Research: Campaign and Policy.” July09 – 22, 2011, Prishtina, Kosovo.
- SakaryaUniversity, Graduate Summer School: “Current Issues in Turkish Foreign Policy.” July 01 – 15, 2010, Sakarya, Turkey.
- Bahçeşehir University, School of Government and Leadership: “Political Campaign Methods.” April 09 – May 28, 2010, Istanbul, Turkey.
- BahçeşehirUniversity, School of Government and Leadership: “School of Politics.”
January 09 - April 17, 2010, Istanbul, Turkey.
- International Relations Council of Turkey, Ilgaz Security Academy, “Understanding International Security in the 21st Century.”
December 18 – 22, 2009, Ilgaz,Turkey.
- Central European University, 14thAnnual Doctoral Conference, “Housing as a Tool of Integration or Ethnic Segregation? An Analysis of Turkish Migrants in Germany” presented, March 29, 2019, Budapest, Hungary.
- Bard College, Higher Education Support Program Network Meeting, Rethinking the Human Rights Workshop, “Human Rights Critiques from Post-Colonial Perspective” presented, February 4 – 6, 2016, Annandale-On-Hudson, New York, United States.
- Bard College and St. Petersburg State University, Faculty of Liberal Arts and Sciences (FLAS), How to Be Authoritarian Joint Conference, “Political Youth Movements in the Contemporary Russia” presented, February 1 – 3, 2016, New York City, United States.
- Bard College Berlin, Higher Education Support Program Network Meeting, Teaching Global Citizenship Workshop, “Global Citizenship in Theory and Practice” presented, November 19 – 21, 2015, Berlin,Germany.
- University of Helsinki, Aleksanteri Institute, 15thInternational Aleksanteri Conference on Culture and Russian Society, “Rethinking Russian Nationalism since the 1990s: Sobornost as an Element of Social Mobilization” presented, October 21 – 23, 2015, Helsinki, Finland.
- American University of Central Asia, VI Annual International Anthropology Conference, Great Game(s) in Central Asia Beyond: Exploring International Regional Rivalry Using Cultural and Historical Lenses, “The EU and Central Asia from Technical Assistance to a New Partnership: Challenges and Opportunities” presented, May 15 – 16, 2015, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan.
- Bard College, Higher Education Support Program Network Meeting, Digital, and Visual Culture in the Liberal Arts Workshop, “Urban Space as Visual Text in Serbia” presented, March 15 – 19, 2015, Istanbul,Turkey.
- American University of Central Asia, Gender and Research Conference, “Human Security: A Gender Approach” presented, November 11 – 13, 2014, Bishkek,Kyrgyzstan.
- Goethe University, World International Studies Committee (WISC), German Association of Political Science:International Relations Section (DVPW-IB), Fourth Global International Studies Conference, Justice, Peace, and Stability: Risks and Opportunities for Governance and Development, “Russia’s Rebirth: As a Weak Parliamentary or Strong Authoritarian Presidential System in the Post-Soviet Affairs?” presented, August 06 – 09, 2014, Frankfurt am Main, Germany.
- University of Surrey, An International Multidisciplinary Symposium on the Receiving End of Intervention: Methods in Human Security, “A Gender Perspective of Human Security in Bosnia-Herzegovina: Freedom from Want vs. Freedom from Fear” presented, June 16 – 17, 2014, Guildford, The United Kingdom.
- The University of Nottingham, Politics without Borders: A cross-disciplinary exploration of the challenges facing a globalized world, “The Philosophical Debate on Russian Choice of Democracy: Zapadnichestvo (Westernizers) vs. Slavophiles” presented, June 12, 2014, Nottingham, The United Kingdom.
- Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration (RANEPA), The Varieties of Russian Modernity II: Religion, State and Approaches to Pluralism in Russian Contexts, “The Politics of Religion in Russia since 1991: The Compatibility of Russian Orthodox Church and a Pluralist Society” presented, May 14 – 16, 2014, Moscow, Russian Federation.
- Université Libre de Bruxelles, Institute for European Studies, Greek Politics Specialist Group, The Economic Adjustment Programs and their Alternatives: Exploring the Impact of Austerity on Southern Europe Workshop, “The Social Impacts of the Economic Adjustment Program in Cyprus” presented, May 02, 2014, Brussels, Belgium.
- Actual Historical Research Assistance Foundation Historical Memory, International Scientific Conference, Concepts of theContinuity and the Succession of State in Modern Times: Historical, Legal and Comparative Aspects, “Change and Continuity of Political Regime in Russia during the Yeltsin Period (1991-1999)” presented, February 06 – 07, 2014, Moscow, Russian Federation.
- The Regional Research Promotion Programme Western Balkans (RRPP) of the Interfaculty Institute for Central and EasternEurope of the University of Fribourg in Switzerland and The Academic Swiss Caucasus Net (ASCN), Informal Practices and Structures in Eastern Europe and Central Asia International Conference, “Siloviki in Russian Politics,” presented, November 21 – 24, 2013, Fribourg, Switzerland.
- Saint Petersburg State University, Russia’s Statehood: The Authorities and Societies across the Twentieth Century International Conference, “Transformation of Political Regime during the Yeltsin period” presented, May 30 – 31, 2013,St. Petersburg, Russian Federation.
- Uludağ University, I. International Interdisciplinary Social Inquiry Conference, “The Role of Political Youth Movements in the Democratization Process of the Contemporary Russia” presented, June 17 – 21, 2012, Bursa,Turkey.
- Nordic and Baltic Studies of the Romanian Association (Asociatia Romana pentru Studii Baltice si Nordice), III.International Conference on European Networks: The Balkans, Scandinavia, and the Baltic World in a time of Economic and Ideological Crisis, “The Politics of Painting: Political Graffiti in the Balkan and Baltic Regions” presented, May 25 – 27, 2012, Targoviste - Dambovita, Romania.
- Ege University, European Student Conference on International Relations: The Balkans: From Past to Present on the 100th Anniversary of the Balkan Wars, “Kosovo Issue in the light of Ethnic Conflict Theories and the Role of the European Union” presented, May 03 – 04, 2012, Izmir,Turkey.
- Bilkent University, I. International Politics and Diplomacy Congress: The Arab Spring: Reasons and Effects, “Monday to Friday; From Unity to Diversity” presented, March 08 – 11, 2012, Ankara, Turkey.
- Okan University, The Turkish Political Science Association, 9th Graduate Conference, “European Union Mission in Kosovo (EULEX)” presented, December 03, 2011, Istanbul,Turkey.
- Okan University, The Turkish Political Science Association, 8th Graduate Conference, “European Union and International Terrorism” presented, December 04, 2010, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Amy Sturrock Advising Award for Best Student Advisor certificate by American University of Central Asia for outstanding contribution to the development of the University’s academic advising system, September 2014, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan.
- Certificate of Appreciation by American University of Central Asia for outstanding contribution to the development of the University’s academic advising system, September 2013, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan.
- International Law and International Relations
- War and Peace Studies
- European Politics
- Migration, Transnationalism, and Diaspora Studies
- Study on Security Cooperation in the Heart of Asia Region – Country Profiles on Turkey and Kyrgyzstan, The Asia Foundation - ATR Consulting, 2015.
- International Journal of Social Inquiry (IJSI), “The Role of Political Youth Movements in the Democratization Process of the Contemporary Russia” published by Uludağ University Social Sciences Institute in collaboration with RMIT University, James Cook University and Washington State University, Peer Review Journal, IISN 1307 – 8364, Volume 6 – Number 2, June 2013, 55 - 71.