ITEC training program «Sustainable Urban Development» EPTRI, Hyderabad, India
Research fellow of The Global Dialogues & Women’s Empowerment in Eurasian Contexts Feminist Mentoring (WEF) Fellowship Program, IGS, LMH, Oxford University, UK
Docent in Sociology, National Attestation Commission of the Kyrgyz Republic, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
Ph.D. in Sociology, Kyrgyz National University, National Attestation Commission of the Kyrgyz Republic, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
Thesis: “The Role of the Mass Media in Processes of Social Change (Kyrgyzstan case)”.
January- May 2007
Visiting Researcher, Kingston University, UK, funded by Open Society Institute,
Aspirantura Program, Bishkek Humanities University, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
Specialist in Sociology, Bishkek Humanities University, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
Thesis: “Internal migration in a period of transition to market relationships in Kyrgyz Republic”.
Postdoctoral researcher ‘SOLID - Social work and strengthening of NGOs in development cooperation to treat drug addiction’ Frankfurt University of Applied Sciences and Bishkek State University
Visiting Postdoctoral researcher at the Department of Anthropology, University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands
2011-2012 and 2013-2014
Postdoctoral researcher at the Sociology Consumption and Household Group, Wageningen University, the Netherlands
Selected research and conference presentations
- ‘Early Marriages in Kyrgyzstan: Religious and cultural practices’ 7 May 2018, IGS, LMH, Oxford University, UK
- “The problematization and politicization of underage marriages in Kyrgyzstan: discourse on new law” Central Asia workshop, 12 April 2017, Department of Anthropology, University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands
- ICT4ED Policy Review Working Group Meeting “Transition of Textbooks: What comes next” 7-8 November 2016 Seoul, South Korea
- “Political exclusion of non-titular youth in Kyrgyzstan? The cases of Russians and Dungans” Beyond Ivory Tower Workshop NUPI, Oslo 15-17 June 2016, Norway
- “Higher education reform in Independent Kyrgyzstan” 6 Sociological Congress of Kyrgyz Republic, Sociological Association of the Kyrgyz Republic and Bishkek Humanities University, 25-26 March 2016
- “Diversification of Higher education in Kyrgyzstan” Project workshop Higher Education Dynamics and Institutional landscape in Post-Soviet Countries, 6th International Conference of the Russian Association of Higher Education Researchers: ‘Rethinking Students: Ideas and New Research Approaches”, Higher School of Economics, Moscow, October 15–17, 2015.
- “Political participation of non-titular young people in Kyrgyzstan” Beyond Ivory Tower Workshop NUPI, Oslo 15-19 June 2015
- ‘Higher education reform in Kyrgyzstan: adapting or surviving?’ Roundtable on Managing Differentiation in Rapidly Changing Higher Education Systems: Challenges and Opportunities’, 5th International Conference of the Russian Association of Higher Education Researchers: ‘Higher Education Systems In Post-Soviet Countries’, Higher School of Economics, October 16–18, 2014, Moscow, RF
- ‘Sustainable household consumption in Kyrgyz society’, Environmental Economics for Central Asia and Caucasus Region – Foundations and Empirical Applications (Summer School)’, July 21–August 2, 2014,
- Karaganda Economic University, Kazakhstan
- ‘ICT in everyday life: transnational household communication practices of educational migrants from Central Asia’, Workshop on Transregional Crossroads of Social Interaction: The Shifting Meaning of Regional Belonging in South and Central Asia’, Zentrum Moderner Orient, March 21, 2014.Berlin, Germany
- ‘ATLAS ti software for analyzing qualitative data’ Public lecture for researcher and Ph.D. students at Bishkek Humanities University. February 20, 2013.
- ‘Educational migrants’ communication practices with ICT’, CASIA coordination meeting, Wageningen University, The Netherlands, April 21–25, 2012.
- ‘Gendering the Youth: Representations of Gender in Contemporary Kyrgyz Media’, Roundtable on Capturing Social Change: Transforming Politics, Cultures, and Narratives’, Name of conference/workshop, Akbuk, July 7, 2012.
- ‘Representations of Gender in Contemporary Kyrgyz print Media’, Roundtable on Current Trends in Scholarship and Theorizing on Central Eurasia: The Region’s Contribution to the Advancement of International Academic Debate, CARTI Academic Writing Workshop, Budapest, Hungary, 25 August–2 September 2009.
Fellowship Programme The Global Dialogues & Women’s Empowerment in Eurasian Contexts Feminist Mentoring (WEF) Fellowship Programme, IGS, LMH, Oxford University, OSF January-July 2018
Muslim Marriages research project “The problematization and politicization of underage marriages in Kyrgyzstan: discourse on new law” Department of Anthropology, University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands, March-April 2018
Project “Save Kyrgyz rural women from unregistered marriages” Pollination Project, USA, 2016- 2017
Research team grant “Beyond the Ivory Tower: Training for University Teams” NUPI, Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, 2015-2016
Research project ‘Higher education Reform in Kyrgyzstan: adapting or surviving’, Higher School of Economics and World Bank, 2014-2015
Publication Award of Global Faculty Grant Program, OSI, “Un/sustainable consumption in Kyrgyz society”, 2013- 2014
Erasmus Mundus Postdoctoral Scholarship “Educational migrants’ communication practices with ICT”, CASIA, Wageningen University, The Netherlands, 2011–2012
Junior Fellow of the Central Asia Research and Training Initiative (CARTI), “Gendering the Youth: Representations of Gender in Contemporary Kyrgyzstan Media”, HESP, OSI, 2006– 2008
Fellowship “Building Academic and Teaching Excellence in the Discipline of Sociology in Central Asia” ReSET, CARC, Almaty, Kazakhstan, HESP, OSI, 2003-2006.
- Sustainable consumption
- Gender studies
- Digital Sociology
- Sociology of education
- Social research methods
- Van der Horst, H., Shadymanova, J., & Sato, C. (2019). “Educational Migrants, ICTs and Socio-Spatial Relationships: Establishing Presence from a Distance”. Journal of Asian and African Studies. https://doi.org/10.1177/0021909618825277
- “Higher education reform and the landscape diversity of higher education institutions in the Kyrgyz Republic, 1991–2015”. (2017) co-author Amsler, Sarah In: 25 years of transformations of higher education systems in post-Soviet countries: reform and continuity. Palgrave studies in global higher education. Palgrave Macmillan, Basingstoke. ISBN 9783319529790
- “Assessment of student satisfaction with the quality of the educational process at three major Kyrgyzstani universities”. Vestnik of the Bishkek Humanities University, #3 (41) 2017 p. 83-88/, ISBN 9967-410-59- 0
- “Market-driven, State-managed Diversification of Higher Education in Post-Soviet Kyrgyzstan” (2016) co- author Sarah Amsler HERB Issue 2(8) Higher Education Landscape in Post-Soviet Countries: 25 Years of Changes
- “Nobody cares about the environment: Kyrgyz perspectives on enhancing environmental sustainable consumption practices when facing limited sustainability awareness,” (2014) co-authors S. Whalen and H. van der Horst, The International Journal of Consumer Studies: Special Issue on Sustainable Futures 2014
- “Informal social bonds and tribalism in Kyrgyzstan” (2013), Journal Społeczeństwo i Polityka, 1 (34): 297– 303
- “Gift exchange as a mechanism of informal social network exchange in Kyrgyz society” (2012), Vestnik of the International University of Kyrgyzstan, 1(21): 102–107.
- “Specialties of social networks and exchange relationships in Kyrgyz Society” (2011), Vestnik of the Bishkek Humanities University, 2011, 18: p.27–30
- “Childhood and mass media in Kyrgyz society” (2010), International Sociology Scientific-Analytical Magazine, 2010, 2(3): 45–49
- “Sociology of culture and the spiritual [symbolic] sphere” (2010) co-authors S. Nurova and D. Alyshbaeva, Sociology of Culture, Bishkek, Jamaat Press.
- “The Role of Mass Media in Social Change in Kyrgyzstan” (2008), Bishkek, Jamaat Press, 2008
- “The role of TV in shaping value orientations of the Kyrgyzstan population” (2008), Sociological Studies, 4(M): p. 78–80
- “The problem of childhood, consumption and mass media in contemporary Kyrgyz society” (2007), Izvestiya of the Institute of Higher Education, 1(B)
- “The role of mass media in a period of social transition” (2004) Vestnik of the Bishkek Humanities University, 1(3): 94–98.